Tuesday, May 25, 2010

What one thing do you wish for most?


If you could choose just one thing to make your photography better what would it be? Would it be a lens? A new camera body, the latest software? Or would it be something else? Would a new computer make your photos better or maybe a new printer? I have been thinking a lot about what will make my photos better than they are now. One conclusion I am coming to is that a lot of stuff I spend time and money on do not directly make my photos and better, or any worse for that matter.

I think when we distill photography into it's core, it really is about us as artists more than the equipment we use. Don't get me wrong, we still have to have equipment but does it really have to be more powerful than a small city or can it be our old Pentax Spotmatic a 55mm f1.8 lens, and a couple of rolls of Tri-X and nothing more?

I think that for me sometimes I let the equipment drive what I can and cannot do. For instance, I justify a more expensive camera because the Canon G10 I have just won't shoot the shallow depth of field I want so I have to have the D300 and 85mm f1.8 lens. Or I get a Lensbaby so all of my photos have to have a lot of out of focus areas in them. While these functions of a camera or lens can be limiting, I am trying to view them as tools to capture what I envision. Now I just need to choose the proper tool for that particular circumstance. I really want the vision that we have talked about before and David DuChemin captures in his books so well. Joe McNalley also creates the look he wants because he per-visualizes it before he shoots it. I love to watch Joe because he often does not get it perfect the first time out and has to experiment some, just like us mere mortals! Gotta love it.

So besides a 24 - 70mm f2.8 and a 70 - 200mm f 2.8, I'd really like a good dose of vision for my photography. So what do you want when you go out and shoot? Equipment is fine, let us know what you need to make better photographs.

No comments:

Post a Comment