Monday, May 17, 2010

Prom time of year








I had the privilege of shooting prom pictures for my daughter and several friends last week. Not only was it a great experience and gave me some nice images for my portfolio but it also helped the kids out. Everything these days is much more expensive then when I went to prom about a thousand years ago. This was a really fun group of kids who had a good time in front of the camera. I only have one regret from this shoot and that is that I did not have more time with each couple to try different poses. Some were ready to be finished after the first shutter release and others were willing to keep going.
The goal here was to give each couple a few really good shots of them in their prom finery and not hold up the rest of the kids too much. As the day was warm, it was necessary to keep things moving fairly quickly. Fortunately, I have a good friend, Dane Wilson who I shoot with regularly who offered his help. So Dane and my son both helped by getting the couples in place quickly and then holding a sunshade to keep the harsh sun off the kids faces. We got all the kids processed through within about 1 1/2 hours.
These photos were shot with a Nikon D300 and a Nikkor 85mm f1.8 lens. In most cases, f5.6 was used to keep enough of the couples in focus. In retrospect, and if I had some more time, I might have shot a little more wide open to get a softer background. Overall though, I am happy with these photos. Let me know what you think . . . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment